Wednesday, March 23, 2011

Day 3: Calculating calories with partial servings!

Today was kind of awful. I went through a bout when I woke up of being completely unmotivated to continue with my diet. There was some arguing going on at my house so I wasn't in the best of moods, but I decided that nothing was going to make me quit my diet, even a bad mood. And unfortunately, especially when you change your diet entirely, you're going to have to go through these, and there really isn't much of a way around it other than willpower. Anyhow! I'm really disappointed with myself because thanks to REALLY bad weather, (there was a Tornado Watch in our area, and then it started storming and then there was a "Severe Thunderstorm" warning with hail advisory!), so I didn't get to take pictures today, or exercise! Bummer! But it's alright, I'll get it started tomorrow, because there was nothing I could do about people's bad moods and definitely nothing I could do about weather! Onto my Food Journal post for today!

Day 3
23.03.11. Wednesday

Morning weigh-in: (done at 1:30 PM) 219.2 lbs.

4:45 PM Chipotle

♥ barbacoa fajita burrito bowl w/ cheese and sour cream (about 540 calories)
♥ 3 12 oz. cups of water (0 calories!)

7:00 PM

♥ 10 Reese's Pieces (51 pieces = 190 calories, so about 40 calories)*

9:40 PM Snack

♥ 1/4 an average sized cantaloupe (about 64 calories)
♥ 1 yoplait greek fruit-on-the-bottom strawberry yogurt w/ granola (180 calories)
♥ 1 TLC chewy granola bar (140 calories)

NOTES: Incorporated more water just like I said I would! Finding myself less thirsty since I quit drinking sodas which is awfully ironic to me considering a lot of them brag about being "Thirst Quenchers!" Failed to exercise due to weather. Finding myself putting more effort into my diet day by day.

Total calories: 984 calories
Bedtime weigh-in: 221.6 lbs.


* So I know you're probably wondering why I asterisked something in my entry, but I suddenly realized that I was never taught how to know how many calories you're eating when you only eat part of a serving... It's fairly easy once you get the hang of it, so now I'll explain!

1 serving of Reese's Pieces = 51 pieces
51 pieces/1 serving = 190 calories
I consumed 10 Reese's Pieces.
So first you want to divide 190 by 51 to calculate how many calories 1 piece has. You will obtain a long number that can be rounded up from 3.7 to 4. So each Reese's Piece has about 4 calories. Then you multiply the amount you ate (10 Reese's Pieces) by the amount of calories they have a piece (about 4 calories).
10 x 4 = about 40 calories, because you rounded up.

And it's really that simple! Now, some of you might be saying, "Well that's too much to do when I'm out to eat!" No, it really isn't. The truth is most cell phones these days come equipped with a calculator and even though you've been eating that entire burrito for the past month, you know what 1/2 of it looks like, and if you REALLY want to lose that weight, you'll control yourself! And if you don't have a cell phone to calculate it, check it through the internet before you go out and use the calculator in your "Accessories" tab. And if you don't have both and you're reading this from a library? Well the truth is, a calculator costs a dollar and it is worth it. It's going to add a couple years on your life, and after all, isn't your life worth that one measly dollar? Or the "embarrassment" of pulling out a calculator?

On that note, sweet dreams!

No comments:

Post a Comment